Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Sonic Parthenon Playlist: Summer 2011, Vol. 1

Well it happened. I can't think of one album to write about for this past Summer of 2011. It was truly a summer of singles for yours truly.

About Group - "Don't Worry"
Alexis Taylor of Hot Chip has a solo project full of the blue eyed soul (well not really blue eyed but why not) hinted on some of his main project's best work. I'm a sucker for a soul organ, this is well established.

An Horse - "Dressed Sharply"
The sleeper hit of the summer as they say. Slick Australian duo has a hearty, intense, bit of substance here.

David Bazan - "Eating Paper"
David Bazan strikes again! In the vein of Neil Young comes this burning bush.

Beirut - "East Harlem"
Mr. Condon makes me wish it was the mid-2000's all over again with this serene, magisterial try-out.

California Wives - "Tokyo"
More of a spring hit but it stuck around through the early summer. Finely crafted electro-pop.

Dirty Vegas - "Little White Doves"
As promised in my Spring round-up, here came Dirty Vegas. I can't believe it. But I guess a small part of me still has a thing for that Saturday night clubbing build-up. I just don't have a thing for the actual Saturday night clubbing.

Eleanor Friedburger - "My Mistakes"
A certified, bona fide smash in the Pennypacker playbook. The Fiery Furnaces have very little home here (save for maybe "Tropical Iceland"). But Eleanor takes a shot solo, does a pop record, and holy howdy listen to this. It's like the Stones' "Waiting on a Friend" but with vigor.

Ghost in the Water - "The Young"
Requisite 80's retro hipster entry.

Gold Bears - "Record Store"
Another of the big smashes of the summer. I listened to this part and parcel with the Pains of Being Pure at Heart record of the spring, making for choc-a-bloc slightly-distorted power pop days.

JEFF The Brotherhood - "Bummer"
A return trip to the classic rock sludgeworks courtesy of these forever-up-and-comers.

Hanni El Khatib - "Loved One"
I like this guy. Nothing says vintage rock n roll like a half-Filipino, half-Palestinian skateboarder from San Francisco. I can't make him up if I tried. How does he not have a pompadour?!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home