Friday, September 12, 2014

Man or Astro-Man?; The Pack A.D. @ Mercury Lounge

Man or Astro-Man?; The Pack A.D.
@ Mercury Lounge
New York, NY - September 11, 2014

I recently started re-watching the 1988 War of the Worlds television series, which I last saw when it first ran and I was 7. It is way worse than I remember.  Holy crud. But it served it's purpose in that what better way to prep for Man or Astro-Man than with shlock alien intrigues.

Ultimately what is Man or Astro Man but an act of sailing the sea of stars on the wings of Brian Blessed? That's the image I conjure when I hear their whipsnap surf punk, see their spectacle, take in their space suits, and witness their musicianship in the name of intergalactic progress (or subversive rebellion? Remember Servotron). And of course throughout this, refreshing my cranium with thoughts ranging from how are we going to colonize Mars to thinking of that boxing picture that Crow T. Robot thought featured Treat Williams. A real dilly dally of thoughts amidst a real rock n roll rumble. Which appears to be part of this band's plan. Typical.

Meanwhile back on Earth, The Pack A.D. are the rawest, readiest, real deal guitar-drum duo since you-know-who. This is insanely good rock n roll, acting on its potency in every note. I want to say this is the best thing to come out of Vancouver since the Canucks original logo but in fact it's the best thing to come out of Vancouver since Pointed Sticks. I have obsessively played "Haunt You" and "Big Shot", neither of which the duo played this night. And I wasn't even hungering for those songs afterwards because everything else was above and beyond the sustenance necessary for a head banging hip shaking rock n roll show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home