Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Sonic Parthenon Playlist: Rest of the Summer 2009, Part 2

Lou Reed - "I Love You Suzanne" and "Dirty Blvd."
Damn you Pinfield! I'm trying to stay hip and current and instead Mr. Morning Man Matt Pinfield on 101.9 WRXP has to keep me hip and in the past with 2 oft-played old numbers from Bittersweet Lou. The former is off a commercial pop record Lou did in the mid 80's and the latter is from the exceptional New York a few years later.

The Replacements - "Alex Chilton"
Once again thanks to this sometimes amazing station called WRXP, I learned of this song and was finally motivated to hear out all of the Replacements. Except for "Bastards of Young", which I already worshiped, I'm not sure they did anything better.

Santigold - "Lights Out"
I had no idea that the girl who fronted the band Stiffed that opened for X back in 2003 in Philadelphia was Santi White/Santogold/Santi Gold. Who knew? I should have. She had the talent then and she has had it for 2 years running at least since. I doubt there was a gap in the middle. Stupendous summer single.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - "40 Days" and "Home"
A pair of heart-warming songs from this SXSW buzz band that grew out of Ima Robot. The hippie-look of this band is shticky and off-putting but the music is irresistible.

Regina Spektor - "Laughing With"
Regina has developed her niche, and she's not going to change for anyone. Keep it that way, sister.

Stellastarr - "Freak Out" and "Graffiti Eyes"
The vocals are annoying yet this works in that Talking Heads-ish sort of way.

Evan Voytas - "We'd Be Good Together"
A little ode of affection with a slightly cynical subtext. Another coup from Oh My Rockness.

Wilco - "You Never Know"
Wilco always does this. A minimum of one killer track off a new record. And it's always one where they sound completely vintage.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home