Monday, March 12, 2007

Reigning Ribeye Rule Over All

The alternate headline for this review was going to be "Cartwriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! 4!".

Reigning Sound; Ribeye Brothers
@ Southpaw
Brooklyn, NY - March 11, 2007


When I wasn't making an ass out of myself at the bar ordering a "Malibu Bay Breeze with Grapefruit" (that's a Seabreeze, doofus), I was enjoying a textbook great night of rock n roll. The Reigning Sound are on fire lately, serving as the backing band to Mary Weiss, the former lead singer of the legendary Shangri-La's. Now armed with a keyboard (maybe once again armed, for all I know), I actually prefer this smoother, more soulful incarnation than the smashing guitar madness that first impressed me years ago (not that I am one to be impressed of course, I'm a nobody). Greg Cartwright is an affable, loveable frontman who just enjoys what he's doing and seeing him on Conan tomorrow night will be a great moment for all his longtime fans. Roxxan has some pics.
Opening act the Ribeye Brothers put a new spin on hard rockabilly-ish roadhouse rock - a controlled but thunderous metal voice eminating from the controlled force that is Tim Cronin. As a guy who loves to pick on New Jersey, this band gave me one less reason to do so.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home