Thursday, October 01, 2015

Regining Sound; Mr. Airplane Man @ The Bell House

Regining Sound; Mr. Airplane Man; EZTV
@ The Bell House
Brooklyn, NY - September 30, 2015

11 years or so ago, I saw Mr. Airplane Man do a pair of solid opening shows (including opening for the Reverend Horton Heat - see last review), and they left me thinking about them every month or so since then. Margaret and Tara went separate musical ways (I once saw Tara drum for another opener, the Turpentine Brothers), and by all logic I should have shook my brain free of them, but when two people channel Howlin' Wolf in prime, raw essence it's hard to forget. Perhaps with aid from Margaret's residential Memphis connection to the beloved headliner, here they were again. It is as it was. In a world of synthetic confection, in which rock n roll WAS a thing that ain't really a thing no more, here was the return of some of the last great memories of electric guitar and drums (and a little Farfisa for good measure). Another sip, taste, of how it has been...be it direct or inspired, from the muddy delta to the big cities, the power of volts upon the string, the beat. May it always be like this.

It looked to me like G Cartwright's Reigning Sound is now the local lads the Jay Vons behind him on his way in from Tenn. I could be wrong, but that's how they looked to me. And of course it worked out fine. All the "hits". Like the good ol' days.

EZTV were a laid back opener.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home