Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Sonic Parthenon Show – Episode 35: “Everything That is Old is New Again”


The Sonic Parthenon Show – Episode 35: “Everything That is Old is New Again”

 http://therumpus.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/The-Artist-Jean-Dujardin-e1314351354357.jpg


Special Intro
“I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston
“Love Train” by the O’Jays

Intro
“Positively 4th Street” by X*

Set 1
“Low and Lonely” by Hank Williams
“Only a Hobo” by Bob Dylan
“Daddy Sang Bass” by Johnny Cash
“It’s Hard to be a Saint in the City” by Bruce Springsteen

Set 2
“Whoa, Tillie, Take Your Time” by Bessie Smith
“You’re Driving Me Crazy” by Django Reinhardt
“Smoke, Smoke, Smoke (That Cigarette)” by Tex Williams & His Western Caravan
“Roll ‘Em Pete” by Big Joe Turner
“My Pencil Won’t Write No More” by Bo Carter
“Old Age Pension Blues” by Bill Cornett

Set 3
“Stop the Clock” by Fats Domino
“You Send Me (Demo Version)” by Sam Cooke
“God Only Knows” by the Beach Boys
“Tipitina” by Professor Longhair

Set 4
“Video Games” by Lana Del Ray
“Going Home” by Leonard Cohen
“Power & Glory” by Lou Reed
“Laugh and Be Happy” by Randy Newman

Set 5
“Don’t Look” by Nervous Rex
“Back of Your Neck” by Howler
“I Got High” by JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound
“Peppy and George” by Ludovic Bource

Outro
“Get Rich Quick” by Little Richard

*Perils of live recording: I believe I neglected to address why I played this song at the outset of the program. After considering myself an X expert for nearly a decade now, I was stunned when I learned through Stephen Metcalf of the Slate Culture Gabfest that X did a cover of this Bob Dylan song. It turns out to be the B-side to their 1987 single for "4th of July". So it fits into the theme of something old that is new again - if only to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home