Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Raconteurs; The BlackLips @ Terminal 5

The Raconteurs; The Black Lips
@ Terminal 5
New York, NY - May 31, 2008


Is it me? Maybe it's me. Sure, the new record is one bit of awful but why should that affect the live show? These are the Raconteurs after all, this is Jack White after all. Whether it did or not, it was bad. Bad bad. All those little things that signify a Jack White show - the between-song pounding, the ins and outs and ins again of songs, etc etc was annoying. They even looked annoying. Obviously, the venue didn't help with its stifled sound and ridiculous set up.

The Black Lips are the most overrated band in America. They cannot play. And not in that punk aesthetic sort of way. They just can't play. Their songs that sound good on record still sound good live but we're talking about a handful of songs like "Bad Kids", "Oh Katrina", and "Make It". Otherwise, they are pretty damn bad.

Maybe it's me.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At June 2, 2008 at 11:11:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, it's you

 
At June 2, 2008 at 11:45:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous. It's definitely YOU.

 
At June 2, 2008 at 6:55:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the other two anonymous folks. It's you. I'll see you at the Steely Dan show jack ass. I'll be able to recognize you. You'll be the one with shit in your ears.

 
At June 2, 2008 at 10:57:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how could you be annoyed by the things you love about Jack White?

 
At June 6, 2008 at 5:15:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to both May 30 and June 1 shows. While I enjoyed both, June 1 was waaaaaaaaaaay better. I thought the place felt weird on Friday night,and the band looked tired to me. Plus the Black Lips had many, many problems and sort of set the stage for a strange show. But, on Sunday, the Racs really got it out and tore it up. It was great. Too bad there aren't any reviews out there from Sunday's show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home