Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

  • It is entirely possible, maybe even likely, in the span of the next few weeks to months that, for several reasons, the gig reporting and even operation of this blog may come to a halt for an indefinite period of time. In fact, by typing this out, I am hoping it does not become the case as it then would make me look wrong, something I frequently am.
  • On some, but not entirely, related note: once again, if anyone out there knows of any good jobs that pay well, that have openings, please contact me.
  • Is cheese cloth really made out of cheese?
  • I still say Clinton will win the nomination. There is no way the establishment in the Democratic party will feel comfortable with a candidate like Obama. Look at how he makes the poor Appalachian white folk feel. That's the entire electorate we're talking about. It can't be like this. Stop him before he stops the hate.
  • I will say she will win the nomination the day after he loses to McCain, that's how sure of it I am.
  • So I had a job interview a couple months ago. Corporate recruiter. They were looking for new corporate recruiters. The woman on the phone would not let me answer a single question. She'd let me say two words, and then cut me off to go on a long, standard stump speech. At one point she says "I know you're just super excited for this opportunity" to which I said "not really" and she of course didn't hear that because she was off to the next bit. The best bit was when she just assumed that I was a football player because all the guys that did this job were athletes and they took that aggression and energy into the corporate world. So I go for the interview anyway, and I meet her boss first. And he hates me from the first moment. I'm not wearing a four figure suit, I have a bit of facial hair, etc. When I ask him what is his motivation for the job, he tells me it's not just the money, it's the ability to "conquer people". And you can tell he didn't like that I could even ask that question. And he tells me - to my face - that I am not presentable. That I don't have what it takes. It was like out of a movie. I didn't even bother to stay to talk to the woman who called me. Which was a shame because she was hot.
  • Isn't it scary how personalized cover letters get ignored but using a widely-passed around standard cover letter gets responses?
  • One thing I have never understood about human nature in the career world, is the ability of "have to". You have to say this , you have to say that. You have to do something one way and never another way. And no one knows why. You just have to. And if you question any of it, with a simple "why?" then there is something wrong with you.
  • On the other hand, who wouldn't success in the big world? 175 dollar burgers are just the start of it. Think of all that money. Think of all the conquering. More importantly than all that, think of the bills that no longer weigh you down. Think of the food on your table. Think of the debt that vanishes...that debt...all that debt.

  • Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home